Improvements to the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center have been completed and at least seven new hotels will open in midtown Manhattan early this year to accommodate event attendees.
• The Jacob K. Javits Convention Center completed its multi-year improvement program at the end of 2013 with the installation of the second largest green roof in the United States; the replacement of exterior doors and curtain wall glazing units; and the repair, replacement and upgrade of several building systems.
New hotels opening in the vicinity of the Javits Center early this year include:
• Homewood Suites by Hilton Hotels—293 suites on West 37th Street.
• Marmara Park Avenue—128 rooms on East 32nd Street.
• Hilton Garden Inn Midtown Park Avenue—232 rooms on East 33rd Street.
• SLS Hotel New York—190 rooms on Park Avenue.
• CitizenM Hotel—114 rooms on West 50th Street.
• Cambria Suites Times Square—194 suites on West 46th Street.
• Knickerbocker Hotel—330 rooms at Broadway and West 42nd Street: a historic hotel that will reopen early this year as a luxury property.
• In July, Norwegian Airlines will introduce three flights a week between London Gatwick Airport and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
• Last year, American Airlines introduced daily flights between Dublin, Ireland, and JFK and in March Air China increased the number of weekly flights between Beijing and JFK. Air China now has 11 flights each week between the two cities. Open Skies now has three flights a day from Paris–Orly Airport to the New York area, one to JFK and two to Newark International Airport.
In the City
• The Ellis Island Immigration Museum reopened to the public in October, a year after Hurricane Sandy submerged the island. Visitors can once again walk the halls of the immigration station.
• Later this year, the David H. Koch Plaza of the Metropolitan Museum of Art will open to the public. The $65-million project will feature a renovated plaza, new fountains that will operate year-round, 100 new trees and permanent and temporary seating areas.