EXPO was at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando for the PCMA Convening Leaders conference earlier this month. There, Wanda Johnson, PCMA board member and senior director of meetings and education at the Endocrine Society, along with Janet Skorepa, Associate Executive Director of meetings and education with the American Urological Association, led a discussion on several innovative ways medical shows can drive revenue and reduce expenses.
Among the ideas:
- Bundle your registration to include all or most of your conference offerings.
- Institute “microcharges” like shuttle passes for people staying outside your hotel room block.
- Offer guided showfloor tours with exhibitor sponsorships.
- Encourage conference speakers to use their own A/V equipment.
- Reduce IT and A/V staff by having “floaters” responsible for multiple rooms.
EXPO caught up with Johnson after the presentation to delve a little deeper into some of the topics.